I've renamed Spring Break to "catch-up-on-all-your-homework-plus-do-all-the-assignments-due-on-monday-get-your-house-clean-do-grocery-shopping-Break... YEAH SPRING!!
But I feel like I have time to breathe. The kids are so happy with this change in the weather, it's so pretty outside they just want to be out all the time! It's so good to open the windows, and let the cool, sweet air come in, and hear the kids laughing and screaming and playing outside. But's it's always a hard change for me. In the winter, it seems like the family grows closer because you're inside together all those months. Playing games, cooking, watching movies with hot chocolate under blankets. And then the sun comes out, and they're just gone. Riding bikes, rollerblading, or playing with the neighbors till dark. Mom? Mom who? The older they get, the farther away thier friends seem to live. Ethans buddy lives across Main Street, and wants to cross all by himself, (okay, so it's mainstreet Payson, maybe 5 cars per minute) But I still go with him. He still seems so small to me, even though at his age, I'd walk to get penny candy with my friends clear across town.

Does anyone else have this hard of a time letting their kids grow-up? I feel like every other Mom knows how, and forgot to tell me the secret. I miss them needing me. When did they learn to be so independent? How will I know if I've taught them enough to keep them safe from all that's out there? How do I prevent broken hearts, and hurt feelings if I'm not with them?
They were babies yesterday, they'll be married tomorrow.... I think I better have some more kids!
UPDATE!!
mar 30,
After writing this post, and reading over it, and thinking about the comments I got. I realized just how badly I'm trying to hold onto my kids, and that I need to start letting them experience new things, even if they fail, even if it kills me!
The kids said they would like to start walking home from school, the first few times were horrible (for me!) I just stood out on the porch till they got home. But they really enjoyed it, and met new kids, and Madison's rock collection grows bigger everyday! They get to spend time talking to each other, and come home in a better mood!
Today walking home.....Tomorrow the World!!!
8 comments:
Why did I just start crying when I read that??? I can't bear to let Dillon play in the front yard, and it wasn't until last summer that I really let Aubrey walk to the neighbors by herself. I must have issues. It breaks my heart when Aubrey comes home from 2nd grade telling me stories of "she said this. . ." And so it begins. I don't ever want them to grow up. I want them to love Princesses and me forever!
You are the best mom ever, your kids are so lucky to have a mom that helps them across the street and cares where they are at (and actually gets up and checks on them when they have fallen and are crying!!) You need to share the secret with me!
oh, and about the mother of vinegar, apparantly it has a lot to do with alcohol-sounds really fun on a lot of days. Maybe we should look into that a little deeper!
I totally understand. Letting them become independent is so hard. Dalin is going through the same thing,he wants to do everything on his own. WE need to get the boys together and play!
Yay Spring Break!! I love your new name for it too! It totally fits!
I would call it "time to poop scoopy my yard and open the blinds".
Thanks for the nice words Jen! You are truly and inspiration to me. together we would be the perfect mother. Shannon, let's definetley get together, let's meet at Vanessa's for lunch!!:)What do ya say V? And Marci, thanks for, as always, putting everything into perspective.
This Friday is bad, just let me know!
I love reading your blog. It is great to see what you guys are doing even though I am so far away. As for the kids; I don't think anyone has the secret for that. We want to keep them safe in our nest for the rest of their lives. However, we can't protect them from all the bad that's out there. If that were part of the "plan" none of us would even be born here. Keep up the good work, and let them know that you love them no matter what.
Post a Comment