Sunday, April 6, 2008

Isn't she lovely, Isn't she wonderful?


I want to shout it out from the rooftops! I'm in love!! It happened earlier this week, at RC Willey, it was so unexpected, I'm now a believer in love at first sight, when the clouds parted, and the sun shone down. I swore I heard angels sing "hallelujah!"


Any of you who have known me for any amount of time, know of my struggle with washers and dryers. (It stems from my inability to spend money on anything) I have been married about 11 years, and have gone through 3 washers and 4 dryers! I have went through summers of hanging clothes out in the garage on clothes lines. I've transported heavy, wet laundry to the laundry mat, because I'm too cheap to wash AND dry there. My washer started to go out about a year ago, when after a load was done, I had to reset it to the spin cycle again because everything was dripping wet, (but I kept doing it because I'm to cheap to buy another one!) Then, about six months ago, my most recent dryer decided to start taking 2 full cycles to dry the clothes. (Looking back now, I think it would have seriously been easier to wash, and dry these clothes without the help of any machine at all.) But then 2 weeks ago, the dryer quit completely. I began looking through the classifieds to find the perfect "new" used dryer. Raul kept saying "Just buy a new freakin' dryer!!!" And then I'd say something like "You wouldn't believe the deals I'm finding online, 'course they're all sold by the time I call, but I'll get lucky-just you wait!" After a few weeks at the laundry mat, Raul finally got fed up, and said if I didn't go pick one out, he would. (by the way, he spends way to much money for things) So I reluctanly set out to find the cheapest dryer I could find. I knew they'd try to talk me into one of the new fangdangled fancy ones, but they didn't know who they were dealing with. "Show me the cheapest you got" I said "Well, do you mean cheapest now, or in the longrun?" he said "huh?" my pennie pinching ears perked up. "Did you know a high efficiency washer and dryers only cost about $20.o0 a year to run, and they end up paying for themselves in 5 years, and that you can wash twice as much in one load?" "Keep talkin' slick" I said, frugal excitement running through my blood. "And we just happen to have a dryer, that's marked down 45 percent, because it's already been opened" (ohhh.....tempting.....ohhhh) "Will you throw in a 5 year warranty, at no extra charge?" I said, refusing to give in to sticker price, even if it was 45 percent off. "I guess," He knew he'd lost the war! "SOLD! my fine young man, pack 'er up!!!


Did you guys know that dryers aren't supposed to make a thumping noise, blow lint out from underneath or produce a musty smell? Well guess what, they aren't!!


Well, you may be asking yourself, where does the washer fit into all of this??


Well, it seems my sneaky, overspending, lovely (I mean macho) husband decided to go buy it while I was at work on Saturday, and surprise me. (And yes he paid FULL price, SURPRISE!!!!) I'm so grateful to him though, I wonder how long it would have taken me to convince myself it was necessary. They definitely wouldn't have matched.


I feel spoiled I've never had a new washer and dryer, let alone ones that go together, and were made in the current century!!


Don''t worry, I'm trying not to let this excess go to my head, or the next thing you know I'll be buying name-brand jeans and 2-ply toilet paper!

7 comments:

Shannon P. said...

Dori I am so happy for you. As much laundry as we do as mom's we all should get ones like that . I am jelous..how are you buy the way?

Vanessa said...

WOW! They are amazing! I bet you are in heaven! We finally got some new ones last year after years of the almond color, we upgraded to white! love them!

Jennie said...

I am absolutly green with envy!! Yeah Dori!! I am glad that Raul surprised you with the washer, you deserve it!! By the way are you free on Thursday for a birthday lunch? I realize Thursday isn't your birthday but that is a day I can visit with you "sans children". Let me know!

Dori Montoya said...

Thanks Shannon, things are great around here, just busy... you know the story. Vanessa, I fondly remember your almond color set, because I used the dryer a couple times remember? And Jen, I'd love go to lunch with you, but you know I love seeing the kids! Are you sure they can't come????:)

ALICIA said...

YEA!!! RC WILLEY VISITED ME AT CHRISTMAS WITH A NEW WASHER & DRYER. LOVE THEM!!! ENJOY!!

Becky said...

Yeah Dori, Im glad you finally put out some money for a new dryer!. Now you just need a new house to put them in!...I already wrote you a commnet but it errased it when i had to sign up for an account so I count post this comment. So All the witty things I said before are gone and this is all you get!..LOVE YA TALK TO YOU SOON

~ One Girl ~ said...

I love this story. I'm so excited you got a new washer and dryer! You kill me! I can just imagine you wheeling and dealing with the RC Willey salesman!!! I giggled so much while reading this!!! I love it!